Hi guys and girls!
My name is Jim Yaghi and you’re joining me on the second video of my coffee adventures.
For this adventure, and over the following weeks I’m going to scale up my Pay Per Click campaign from the 150 leads a day it’s bringing now to 3 times that — 450 leads a day. This is a stepping stone toward the eventual goal of 1000!
Last month I attended a live event in Las Vegas at the Venetian hotel called Inner Mastermind. If you’re into it, I shot some fun videos of my trip for that event. You can find them on my blog or Facebook.
Anyway, this month a product launched by the name of the Arbitrage Conspiracy which was a product of that event. In case you’ve been hibernating under a rock and you didn’t hear all the buzz, the story goes that three young fellas from Canada were consistently pulling in as much as 150,000 dollars PER day online using Pay Per Click. What was more interesting to me was that Aymen, the main speaker at the event told me that they spent between 50-100 thousand dollars a day on pay per click ads alone.
Naturally, when I was invited by my friend Mike Dillard to attend and represent Magnetic Sponsoring there, I jumped up. Within a few days I got on a plane and flew over from Jordan to Vegas!
There wasn’t a great deal of difference between what they were doing with CPA and what i was doing with home business opportunity leads using pay per click. I used Google Adwords and Yahoo they used Adwords and Yahoo. They also used MSN and some other smaller and less trafficked pay per click engines–which honestly i can’t be bothered with right now. I tried MSN before and their conversion tracking was making mistakes so I abandoned it.
Also, Aymen’s team were making customised landing pages for each keyword and placing a single keyword in each adgroup–and so was I.
None of their keyword research tools were new to me. They used the Google tool mainly, a few misspell and typo generators, word combiners, alexa, and so on–i was doing that already.
But i learned two very important lessons. One was the use of automation tools to build up massive keyword lists and upload them all in one shot. Obviously they didn’t filter these keywords too much becuase no one could do that to a list of 1 million words. Their strategy was to first sweep the market with these million keywords and find keyword types and themes that showed SOME results with low bids. And by tracking the keywords that worked, they would kill the ones that wouldn’t convert. And they would laser target their attack to improve their click rates, click costs, and conversion rates.
So as soon as I got home, I got to work.
I pulled up alexa and used its related sites feature to find domains in the network marketing and home business industry. A small list of about 50 domain names came out. I then used a typo and misspelling generator tool to turn that into a list of around 800,000 keywords.
Oh but Google’s quality score would shut me DOWN if i tried to upload those keywords to my account. Instead, i posted them to Yahoo becuase it’s less strict. Several hours and yahoo accounts later, i had the keywords all ready to go.
Ok, let’s pause for a minute. I’m in phase 1 right now. Remember the 3 challenges i have to go through? Impressions, clicks, and conversion.
Right now, I’m focused on phase 1 ONLY. Keywords that get impressions. That’s all i care about.
Well Yahoo gave me impressions–very few. In my experience, Yahoo has always been weaker than Google for the Home Business niche–maybe someone else has better luck with Yahoo than i do, i dont know.
Not to worry. What’s next?
Well, I’ve gotta take this stuff into Google where there’s lots of fish. Out of the 800,000 keywords, i had to choose! I sorted all the campaigns by impressions and took the top 4 keywords from each campaign.
Now I still worry about the Google Quality Score since i’m really not focusing on Click Thru Rate or conversions–i want to keep my landing page generic. So i figured i’ll place these keywords on the Google content network first. Again, that’s a much less strict place to advertise than is the Google search.
I ran this for a few days and lo-and-behold…not only did i get impressions and clicks, but i got a super high conversion rate!
Now i get about 16 new conversions from that little experiment. Not bad but i gotta get disciplined about repeating this a few more times.
Go try this out for yourselves and let me know how it works. Meanwhile, i’m gonna go fight my demons and report to you in a few days.